Detailed guide for those who want to learn.
An essay in English is a kind of creative work with an arbitrary composition that reveals the author’s opinion on a particular social, cultural or historical problem. This is not an essay, article, essay.
The essay is very similar with the writing-reasoning, the main difference is in the purpose of writing. A writing always contains a conclusion, and an essay only encourages the reader to think and make his own. In the essay, the author only reasons, raises relevant topics, but does not make a final conclusion, unlike an essay. The article is really very similar to an essay, but the article is a work of journalism. It is this factor that makes the article the one and only in the world of the journalistic genre. And so that you do not have the slightest desire to compare the essay with the abstract, we consider the latest differences. First of all, the abstract is larger in volume – about five pages, while the essay usually takes up one and a half to two pages. And in the essay, the narrative is on behalf of the author, and the abstract is a report on a clearly defined topic.
Where is useful essay:
- When passing school exams in English.
- To pass the international exam in English.
- For entering university.
- For hiring.
In addition, writing an essay develops the imagination and helps develop analytical thinking skills. Therefore, if you want to develop – write an essay.
Types of essay
- For & Against Essays
- Points to consider
- Opinion essays
- “Pros and cons”
The main task is to consider two existing points of view. It is important to objectively evaluate both positions and express your understanding of each of the parties.
1. Introduction – you need to characterize the topic, which will be discussed, without expressing your own opinion.
2. The main part – you need to write your opinion about the problem, give examples and evidence.
3. Conclusion – you sum up the results and summarize all of the above. Remember that in this type of essay you should not make a specific conclusion, you can only distribute all the arguments into two cups weighing all the arguments.
Important: the words I think, I believe, In my opinion, etc. can only be used at the end where you express your position.
It is important to express your position on this or that problem. Give examples, arguments in favor of their opinions and transparently express their position.
1. Introduction – indicate the question to be considered, as well as your position.
2. The main part – you need to specify the opinions opposite to yours, explain why they have the right to exist, and also give arguments in favor of your opinion.
3. Conclusion – you once again express your point of view in other words.
“Problem and solution”
The essay “Problem and solutions” is written in a formal style. It is important to put the problem, then consider ways to solve it.
1. Introduction (you report the problem).
2. The main part (you need to show possible solutions to the problem and its consequences).
3. Conclusion (you express your own opinion about solving the problem).
Essay Writing Tips in English
Stick to the structure. Do not forget to use the draft. Make yourself notes, outline the plan, jot down a list of all the arguments before starting to write. It is important to be fully prepared and be prepared for any topic.
It is best to prepare for writing an essay in advance. Write as much as you can, be inspired to write an essay in English on a topic you are not familiar with, be it animal rescue or trends in world art. Thus, whatever topic you may find, you can develop it on the basis of the knowledge and experience that you received during the training.
The essay may be perfect in content, but if it contains grammatical errors – all is lost. Be sure to remember to check your work after writing. It is advisable to do it twice. First, from the very beginning to the end, and then in the reverse order, to find errors in the words.
Be sure to follow the style of one of the three types of essay throughout the work. Specificity is important in an essay, but it should not be made too short. Most often, an essay consists of 180-320 words, depending on the purpose of writing. Do not forget about linking words. They show the literacy of the author. And use quotes that will confirm this or that opinion.